Join Joao from the comfort of your home kitchen to his family-run bakery in downtown Lisbon, that has won several awards highlighting its Pastel de Nata. You will learn how to bake authentic and irresistible Portuguese Custard Tarts, aka Pastel de Nata, also known as Egg Tarts in Asia.
This class is open to all levels, even if you don't have previous baking experience. Both adults and kids are welcome!
We'll make puff pastry from scratch like the pros do, cook the creamiest custard ever and bake it all inside a professional oven.
- All-purpose flour
- Margarine for puff pastry (butter)
- Lemon peel
- Cinnamon stick
- Egg yolks
"Olá, I'm João! I was literally born into the food business! I'm a 5th generation baker. When I was just a baby, my crib used to be placed on top of the ice cream counter of his Family's restaurant. By the age of 7, I was making coffee, standing on a chair to reach the espresso machine. By 12 I was mixing a killer sangria and my Dad would always get a little angry when he'd try to sip it before serving it.
By 14, I started learning how to bake pastries and bread. That's when I decided he'd study hospitality management. I completed my studies in Spain, worked in London and now the owner of Pastelaria Batalha in the heart of Lisbon, where I run Pastel de Nata Workshops."
- Choose your preferred date and time on the calendar.
- Receive a confirmation email with a link to join the video call (Jitsi.org secure and private).
- You will receive a list of ingredients and all material.
- Prepare your phone and laptop before the session. Open the video call with the link on both devices.
- Mute the phone & lower the volume to 0 and use only the back camera to show your hands to the teacher.
- Turn on your laptop’s camera, mic and volume to show your overall cooking station and face and also be able to always be able to look at what your teacher is doing.